Always interesting that day before you leave

The before and the after - always a way to analyze a trip for good or for bad.

Today represents the "before" - that day before you take off, the day of anxiety.
"Do I have everything packed?"  Check the list I made, maybe I left something off the list?  I lost the list...so I make a new list.  Even then I start to think of things - don't forget power converters, oh yah, don't forget battery packs for the phones/laptop, ... forecast calls for rain, better bring an umbrella or jacket or both.

Of course the life of a parent means you have to think through this twice - and Alyssa is that type that is mature enough that you tend to forget she's a 12 year old girl going into 7th grade who last traveled over seas when she was 10 and half the size (it seems).  And not to mention, it would be one thing if we were packing for a vacation trip to see the sites, but this one includes a week long soccer tournament.

So she has packed her older Lincoln soccer backpack (after Jule fumigated it and cleaned it) to use abroad as she needs to handle each day there like a tournament game here - pack both uniforms, be prepared to change, have cleats, shin guards, extra pair of shin guards, warm ups, ball, her sports specs, etc.
So it is a lot to think about.

Sort of out of my own desire for sanity, I offered to be the team manager for this tournament.  My sister (who is also going on the trip along with my niece) and JulĂ© have helped out as much as possible, but between yesterday and today I've spent a good few hours alone just printing out the team documents, making sure the team is registered and roster is entered online for Gothia Cup, etc.
Not to mention the hours of coordination over the past two weeks with our two host soccer clubs - working out a schedule to train, meet and visit with those squads, check in the team, make it to our preliminary round games, etc.  On top of that, packing and coordinating gifts for our host teams... that's added a few pounds to the suitcase.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as about as excited about this trip as I have been in the past, but starting on July 15 when we arrive in Gothenburg from Brussels via Copenhagen, it is pretty much go, go, go...
But it will be awesome.

For those with Alyssa's parent team - the Lincoln FC Lady Outlaws and especially Coach Al - I hope this experience serves to relax me a bit and I'll come back focused on helping our ladies to a great summer and fall season.  Work has sucked...really had me bogged down and stressed and between that and preparing for this trip, my focus has not been sharp for the Lady Outlaws..  But I'll come back with renewed energy, new ideas for training, new ideas for game strategy, etc.  And I hope to convince a Swedish team to come here.  That would be cool too.

So the bag is about fully packed, the carry-ons are assembled and ready, the trip documents are organized and filed, the passports, credit cards, IDs, cash, etc are all ready to go in my handy-dandy electronically secure hang-around-my-neck wallet thingy.  I found a few left over British pounds sterling and some Euros from our trip in 2015 so that will come in handy upon arrival in London and Brussels.

Now, if I can just avoid using those tiny bathrooms on the airplane...

Hope to blog again either between flights or after we've settled in London.  I wonder, what will be under construction this time.

Why do I have Cypress Hill songs in my head now?

Comments

Popular Posts