Buona Pasqua

I'm having trouble finding many internet place..especially ones that are open at reasonable hours. Right now I am jammed into a tiny spot in a Tourist Info booth in Lucca awaiting a rental car guy who was supposed to be here an hour ago (italian timing.. might as well be in Hawaii).

Our trip in Venice ended in rain all day Friday. We saw San Marco and went up on the Campanile, but the city was so crowded and I started to come down with a bad cold that we didn't bother going through the Doge's Palace. Oh well. I really enjoyed Venice. The streets and canals make for a very serene atmosphere - minus the multitude of bikes, vespas, and autos.

Had a really funny moment watching someone film a music video. I think I already posted that, but just incase I didn't, ask me about it when I get back.

Its EASTER MONDAY here, which means that everything is CLOSED. How weird.

We went to Florence and Pisa yesterday. I made everyone get up really early and we made it to the Duomo just in time to see the annual Easter tradition of blowing up a big cart. OK, so its more pagentry than that. It was actually really cool - dispite the 430865430580394850435 people trying to see what I was trying to see. Out in front of the Duomo (and the baptestry, if you have been to Florence, you know what I know.. there isnt much room between the two) - the Florentines come dressed in their gay medieval gear and bring this giant red cart fitted to the ends with fireworks. At the stroke of 11:34, they started blowing the thing up.. it was awesome! I caught most of it on video.. and some kids head as my arm got tired. Really something else.
When it was all said and done, my dad said 'Where is mass?'.
I guess that was a bit lost on him. oh well. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

We went into the Duomo for Easter mass (dad was happy now) and then went to the Uffizi. That was really awesome. I was a little disappointed with how many rude people were snapping photos in both the Uffizi and the Duomo with no respect for why they ask you NOT to. Oh well.

We tried to see Santa Croce, but it was closed. Then we went to Pisa.
(I'm in a hurry here).

Saw the tower, its still leaning despite what my dad my try to convince you otherwise with his photo. I learned that the nazis are alive and well in Pisa. All over the place near the tower are people with their arms extended out like Hitler and just praising Nazism. Also a but of tai-chi folks. (I'm making fun of the throngs of people posing as if they are pushing over the tower).

Today it is raining again. We are trying to get to Siena and Ripafratta where my mom's family comes from. Who knows.

All are well.. I have a cold and the pharmacy is closed. The B&B is nice.

ciao

Comments

Popular Posts