One week ... 


One week from now, we'll be about 2 hours from landing in Dublin, Ireland.  Its been a frantic "last weekend" trying to pack what can be packed, clean what has to be cleaned, organize a lot of things, and somehow not overlook the fact that between now and touchdown in Europe is a full week of work, school, kids sports, coaching, hair cuts, dentist appointments, end of school parties, and last minute arrangements.

Traveling is fun, but it does take a lot of effort.  This has been the biggest challenge I've had in planning a trip - especially when trying to make a fun, reasonable vacation for 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 senior citizens all who have different needs and interests.  Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed the challenge, but it is much different and seemingly more difficult than our big trip to Italy in 2004.

For one, we're all 11 years older (at least the adults are) and we don't motor around like we used to.  Secondly, we're going to many more places and countries and traveling by plane, train, car, and probably boat at some point. Third, while the internet is great for booking things, communicating with hotels and tour guides, etc., it is also much more information overkill than it was 11 years ago.  Plus, online booking is convenient, but also means you are making decisions on tours, tickets, etc a lot farther in advance or else they book up. Adding to the complexity - airline rules have changed, mobile devices have quadrupled (more batteries, chargers, mobile chargers for mobile devices, more people have more devices means more storage, cases, cables, headphones, etc etc).  In trying to get away, its hard to get away.  Maybe Rick Steve's minimalist approach has its point.

One thing I am thankful for in terms of technology is the wonders of Facebook.  No, I'm not thankful for Farmville or Tea Party cartoons of Obama, or even having to read about everything necessarily - but Facebook is the blessing that put me in contact with many family members in Italy - some I did not meet in 2004 and for this - especially Anna Rizzardo as well as Davide (Rizzardo) and Francesca - I am eternally grateful.  We are blessed to have family the girls get to meet and share in their world if only for a day or a week.

So it has been a challenge.  Admittedly, there have been times I've wondered if I bit off more than I could chew in planning this trip, but when my mind clears I realize I'm doing the right thing.  I am thrilled to be taking my parents to see their heritage one more time (for my dad, to see his cousins again - for my mom, to finally spend some time in the small down where her family originates (Ripafratta here we come)).  I'm excited they get to see the wonders of London, truly one of the greatest cities in the world.  Here's to minding the gap.  I am honored to take them both to a day seeing the beaches of Normandy, walking in the very sand that "the greatest generation" did 71 years ago ending the tyranny and horrors of Nazi Germany.  I wonder how eerie the quietness will be when we stroll around seeing those sites.  And of course, just having a lot of down time on planes and trains to talk and visit with them.  My folks live all of 10 miles from me, but as busy as life is, I rarely see them.

While spending this time will be a blessing with my parents, I get the pleasure of introducing a whole new world to my daughters.  Having them meet their cousins in Italy and drawing them even closer to those roots is extremely important to me.  I cannot wait to see the joy in learning about their cousins, in exchanging addresses, and maybe setting up a connection with their generation that lasts into future generations.  The full blooded genes of my Italian father may have been diluted down in my daughters, but they will always be Italian-American girls who know the honor of both Old Glory and the tri-colors.  And so it is not lost on me the importance of this trip from that point of view, but also that they get to share it with their grandparents who instilled that pride in me.  One thing I've learned from traveling with the girls, I get to see the world through their eyes.  So I will do my best to let them blog a little so you can also see Europe through the eyes of two little girls.

Lastly, I get to spend nearly three straight weeks with my best friend!!  As you parents know, quality time comes few and far between with your husband or wife.  That Jule and I get to spend another multi week trip together much like we did 11 years ago is amazing.  And now we have even more to talk about.

One week to go...   I hope it goes slow once it arrives.


Comments

Popular Posts