The life of a rooster

I've never spent much time thinking about chickens.  Sure, I've spent a considerable amount of time thinking about how best to prepare them for lunch or dinner.  I've watched a number of Fog Horn Leghorn cartoons (in multiple languages yes).  But otherwise, chickens don't usually take up a lot of my brain power.

Life in Liedolo is rural, nice, and relaxing.  10 minutes and we are in Bassano with any shopping we want and trains to anywhere.  But otherwise its a quiet town - Luisa knows everyone as Jule wrote about.  A walk around the block is a walk around half the town.  Everyone has a dog or a cat or both.  Many have other animals as well.

A neighbor to B&B Luisa has chickens - and in particular a rooster.  How do I know?  Well, this rooster does what any rooster is supposed to do each and every morning - he crows like there is no tomorrow.  Well, after about 4 straight days of hearing Mr. Rooster start up his crowing around 430am, I began to wonder the roll of this crowing.  (Yes, I am this relaxed, and yes, I would like to move here).

So I pretend to be a rooster.  Its about 423am.  Am I fighting the urge to crow already?  Is the blood pumping inside me to crow and I'm just waiting for the right moment?  I wonder if a rooster is minding his own business..you know sleeping or checking out some hens or maybe playing some playstation and then suddenly they just start crowing for whatever reason?  And what reason does the rooster think is so important that they crow?  If the rooster did not crow, I think life would go on just fine, but maybe I am wrong.  God provided a natural alarm clock - a bit early for my tastes.  If the rooster did not crow, then I wonder if all would go to hell?

So noble rooster...crow to your heart's content.  It no longer bothers me.  In fact, it makes me quite philosophical.  But one last question Mr. Rooster - does it piss you off that the guy who rings the church bell does so at every hour of the day, every day, every hour, night and day?  Because Mr. Rooster, yee of piety, the campanile is part of a church - God's house - and if he had such faith in you Mr. Rooster, then why did he have us build towers with bells that require a person to ring?  Maybe that's what all the fuss is about.  Either way, its 5am, I'm going back to sleep.


Comments

  1. We have several roosters. Their crowing, and morning competition with neighbors roosters crowing, is all back ground noise now. If you like we can drop one off in your backyard as a welcome home? Of course your neighbors might not appreciate that! ….We are enjoying reading about your travels....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guy seems to be a lone ranger - no competition to out crow him, just that pesky clock tower ringing every hour. I guess he feels the need to make up for lost roosters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This guy seems to be a lone ranger - no competition to out crow him, just that pesky clock tower ringing every hour. I guess he feels the need to make up for lost roosters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts