Driving the Provincia of Teviso

I recall back in 2004 being asked upon my return from Italy if I was scared to drive and I confidently said "no".  My reasons were simple:  Italians drive smart - if you drive smart you'll be okay.

So how does one drive "smart"?

1) Don't drive in the centro storico of the main cities - that is dumb.  In fact, don't drive in the big cities pretty much anywhere.
2) Know what kind of car you have - a Citroen, Lancia, or Fiat Punto will not beat a BMW - so give way
3) Use your signals, mirrors, and those things called eyes to look around you before you jet out into a roundabout or switch lanes, etc.
4) Signs.  They help.
5) Arrows - they point the way
6) yes, pull over.
7) the motorcycle will pass you
8) no cyclists don't seem to value their lives

Today was a great test for me driving around the Treviso province being the family taxi and courier.  First was to drop my parents by our cousins in Cavaso and stop for a yummy lunch.  Then as promised, I turned around and headed back past Liedolo and south of Bassano to a Parco Animale (zoo) in the town of Cartigliano.  The girls have patiently been through 4 straight days of either train rides of visiting with older family.  It was due time to give them a day doing something they'd love.  I have to admit, the zoo in Cartigliano was pretty good for the price and of course the size of the tiny town.  I personally think it kills the Sacramento Zoo.  Or at the least, I'd rather be in Cartigliano than Sacramento and I think the animals would too.

Anyway - with no navigator and limited recollection of these road, I killed it.  Why?  I drove smart.
For instance, every day as I drive away from B&B Luisa - I simply take note of more and more landmarks and signs, so my recollection gets further and further away.  Second, I've slowly started identifying the subtle differences in the church bell towers, the direction they face, and other architectural nuances.   This means I can use bell towers in the distance as a homing beacon.  Lastly, those signs that eff up the scenery certainly don't waste my time.  In fact, they point where to go.  This afternoon we were driving back from the houses of Anto and Graziana as well as Elida.  I took a quick detour through Boca di Serra which is the neighborhood where my grandmother Maria grew up.
My dad, eager to find a restaurant because it is almost 6pm and we cannot eat past 6pm asks if I knew where I was going (He noticed I had put the maps away).

I said "kind of...we are in Boca di Sera".  My dad then asks if I know how to get back to our B&B.  Of course!!  "How?" - I point to a sign telling me the direction of Castelcucco which is in the direction of Paderno del Grappa which is near Fonte which leads me to San Zenone and then Liedolo.
So I know if I head towards Castelcucco...I'm headed towards the first dot in a curvy, rural line of roads that will take me back to Liedolo and our B&B.  He seemed unimpressed.

Earlier today on our way to Cavaso he noticed a sign on the side of the road indicating that the roads can be icy/snowy in winter.  He says to me "I wonder if they require chains here?  Probably not."  I said "yes, they advise it."  He looks at me in bewilderment - "how would you know that?"  I said as nice as I could "Dad, it was on the sign PRIOR the one telling you that the roads may be icy or snowy".  Oh....

Not to throw my dad under the bus, in his day he was as observant as can be - its how I learned to be the same.  The rules applied to driving, fishing, yard work, etc.  Be observant.  I am.

                                                                                     

Comments

Popular Posts