3 Memorable Signs of Europe

As we wrap up our trip with a few days in Ireland, it is time to recap some memorable moments of signage.  I took many random photos placed randomly along roadsides, train stops and airport terminals.  Let's get started!

Red and Black Car Roulette


Traffic circles are great except when you're approaching one and you see this sign. Think quick!  Am I in Ireland, London or Italy -- and am I on the right side of the road today?    It means those driving red cars are dangerous and fast, or I should not pass on the left if my car is red and I am in Italy.  Well, since I'm in Italy, maybe I'll just stop for gelato before entering the roundabout.


Two Planes Below Ground


This little gem appeared in London City Airport as we were walking along the nippy corridor to get on another plane.  Good thing we are walking to the next terminal and there will apparently be two planes waiting for us below ground level.  Excellent! Because I was certain the City Airport would not have the same level of service as Heathrow.  No worries.


Caught Between an Axe and a Fiery Place

Found upon exiting a plane directly on the runway and entering the "terminal" on the ground level.  I wondered if it was safe to go to the left, but everyone else was going there.  Seemed better than turning to the right and finding someone wielding an axe.  At least I know how to use a fire extinguisher.  But I'm not sure I'll make it that far because the sign indicates a nasty blow to the head is coming soon.

I do imagine that someone has thought long and hard to produce these universally confusing signs, so next time you see one, do pay some respect.  Too many signs, not enough time to blog.  Must be off to stuff everything in the suitcases now, and get ready for the long trek home.  Europe has been fun, signs and all!

-Jule Rizzardo

Comments

Popular Posts