Corner market vs. Starbucks

First rule of parenting - I aim to please.
Up for another day - this time hopefully to Bruges.  Weather is perfect - sunny and maxing out around 70 degrees.
We all slept in a tad because of the long day yesterday, but even the most annoying and loud alarm clock has nothing on the stomach.  Stomach says "HUNGRY" and body wakes up (or conversely stomach says "HURL!" or "TRAIN'S COMING TO THE STATION - Platform 2", etc.).

So Alyssa (and I) was hungry.
Off to the corner market.

Second rule of parenting - aim to teach as often as possible.
As I may or may not have mentioned, the Starbucks addiction with the two 12 year olds might need to be contained a tad.  I get it if you see one at an airport, etc - but I think when they opt for Starbucks in the Grand Place in Belgium over the nearby cafes, we need some intervention.

This morning I provided just that.  Off to the corner market.

The corner market...about the size of my living and dining rooms - has all you need.  Just a block away from our Hilton Garden Inn Louise hotel room and right next to the Metro stop, the convenience factor is perfect.
The various ones I have used in Europe all feel a bit different and I suppose it depends on whether you are in downtown Brussels versus quaint rural Liedolo or Cavaso del Tomba.  Either way, they have the essential pre-packaged stuff....and if you are willing to poke around long enough, the fresh local stuff.  Milk and juice were easy enough to find... if I had any question the cow and picture of orange were clear signs.  Next was to find some breakfast...and as I wandered from aisle 1 to aisle 2 (of 3 - which doubles as the checkout aisle) the back door opened, and a guy appeared carrying a large rack of freshly baked goods.

He had baguettes, croissants, chocolate filled croissants, etc.  And they were hot and smelled amazing.

Breakfast was solved.

For 11 euro I got us 5 croissants, a package of waffles, some cookies for later, milk, and orange juice.
For 30 euro yesterday the ladies got each a bagel or muffin and a drink.

There are two happy, if not very impressed, 12 year olds right now.  The piping hot croissants won.

Dad of the year....
Mic drop.


Comments

Popular Posts