ARRGGHH!! SHIVER ME TIMBERS - AVAST YE MATEYS

Nassau here we are!! So, now I can officially add The Bahamas to the list of countries I have been to, and British commonwealth nations as well. Today was a blast... and a blast of afternoon rain again.. and evening rain, again.... but a blast nonetheless.

We ate breakfast in the main dining room rather than the Windjammerful of Rude People Cafe. We met two retired couples for New Joysey - one was another Italian guy - totaly Mafia talk too.
Alyssa chowed down on banana and egg and hash browns. Jule and I both opted for customized omeletes and some fruit.

After breakfast, Jule and Alyssa parted from me to go play in the AquaBabies group from 9:30 til 11:30. Meanwhile, I boarded my Pirates and Dungeons Tour of Nassau. Arrgghhh!!!! The tour started with a bus ride (A/c'd thank god, it is HUMID here!) around Nassau stopping at two historic forts for picture opts and flea market style "bargains". "Hey Mon - come buy a treat mon." Uh, no thanks.. a bit full on used Bahama license plates myself.. but thanks mon. Oh.. and I dont think my daughter wants one of those dolls - the whole horror movie zombie kid look just doesn't say "baby toy" to me. More like it screams "die bastard!"

The tour was interesting because our guide was both informative, funny, and very political. So I got to hear some interesting opinions. LIke, capital punishment is legal here - death by hanging is the only accepted method. So Phil, the tour guide (Phil stans for "Passionate Heartfelt Intelligent Lover - according to Phil) goes on to explain how he wished two recent prison escapees should have "hung like wet laundry" for killing a prison guard in the process of escaping. Anyhow, I learned that that the Bahamas accually were under US control twice in their history. The first occassion was during our Revolutionary War with Britain. The US discovered that Britain was using Nassau as their weapons stockade for the war. Although someone tipped off the Brits that the US was coming to invade and left for Jamaica, the US still occupied Nassau and flew the early version of the Stars and Stripes over Nassau for a limited time (like two weeks).
The second time was during our Civil War. Again, the islands were being used by the British to supply arms to the Conferderates during the Civil War (slave labor helped bolster the British economy) - until the Union troops attacked, cleaned up shop, and occupied Nassau for another short stint flying the US flag over the city once again.
The Bahamas gained indepedence from Britain in 1973 yet remain a commonwealth. However, they accept US dollars - one for one exchange with the Bahamian dollar.

Arrgghh!! I be driftin away from my pirate adventure. The scallywags and I continued our tour by going to the Pirates museum in downtown Nassau. This place claims to be the best Pirate exhibit in the world. If this be true, then I've got a piece of eight that says the other museums must really suck.
While interesting and full of cool pirates - it be a bit limited and only a true pirate would think it be great. Nonetheless, I had fun. I got to say words like "timbers" and "scallywags" and "booty" along with a lot of "Arrrgghhs!"
When I returned to the ship, Jule and Alyssa were waiting in the room and Jule had ordered room service for lunch while Alyssa took a nap.

For now, I will publish this message since I am weary of these computers.
How as Alyssa's day? Were the clouds on the horizon a sign of the skull and bones? Would I get scurvy? Tune in to find out...

Comments

Popular Posts